Why Commute Smart
There are many reasons to walk, ride your bike, take the bus, or share a ride to work. You’ll be happier, healthier, and wealthier when you choose one of these smart commuting options. Driving in traffic and bad weather, and worries about breakdowns cause stress. Gas and car maintenance is very expensive. Smart commuting is better. And, all the commuteSMARTseacoast options are great for a cleaner, greener Seacoast.
Do your part by commuting smart! Even if it’s just one or two days a week..
Overview of Mission, Services, & Funding
To promote smart commuting options – carpooling, vanpooling, transit, bicycling, walking, and teleworking- that will support a livable and economically vibrant greater Seacoast community.
CommuteSMARTseacoast is a TMA (Transportation Management Association) comprised of employer members. Membership is free and open to any employer in the Greater Seacoast region of New Hampshire.
- Services include:
- Confidential online carpool and vanpool matching service
- On-site educational events and materials about carpooling, bicycling, transit, and teleworking
- Individualized commuter transportation planning
- CommuteSMARTclub – registered commuters who work for member employers are eligible for the Emergency Ride Home program (up to 6 free rides home if an emergency occurs during work) and monthly drawings for prizes.
- Surveying and analyzing commuter transportation patterns and needs
- Quarterly e-newsletter and email blasts
- Regional commuter events and contests (e.g. “Bike/Walk to Work Week”, “Try Transit Week”, “Seacoast Commuter B2B Challenge”)
- Workshops (e.g. bike safety, bike maintenance)
- Advocating on regional transportation issues
- Roundtables on commuting options and topics of common concern to members
Federal Department of Transportation (CMAQ) and NH Bureau of Turnpikes
Advisory Board & Staff
Co-managed by Shayna Sylvia at Strafford Regional Planning Commission and Scott Bogle at Rockingham Planning Commission.
Advisory Board Members:
- Anne Rugg, former CommuteSMART Seacoast Manager
- Scott Bogle, Senior Transportation Planner, Rockingham Planning Commission
- Jackie Hanscome, Installation Energy Manager, Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
- Tom Jarvela, Systems Trainer & Developer, IAPP
- Peter McGovern, Architect, Oak Point Associates
- Rad Nichols, Executive Director, COAST
- Shayna Sylvia, Communications and Outreach Specialist, Strafford Regional Planning Commission
- Juliet Walker, Planning Director, City of Portsmouth
Service Area Map
- Bottomline Technologies
- C & J Bus
- CIT Group
- City of Dover
- City of Portsmouth
- City of Rochester
- City of Somersworth
- Chinburg Properties
- Courtyard by Marriott – Portsmouth
- Families First and Goodwin Community Health
- GPI Greenman-Pedersen
- Great Bay Community College
- Harbour Light Strategic Marketing
- Heinemann Publishing
- IAPP (International Assoc. of Privacy Professionals)
- IPSUMM, Inc
- John Hancock
- LTC Partners
- Liberty Mutual
- Loftware Inc
- Lonza Biologics
- McLane Middleton
- National Passport Center/Wellness Committee
- New Hampshire Dept. of Environmental Services
- Oak Point Associates
- Optima Bank and Trust
- Papa Wheelies
- Pax World Management LLC
- Pease Development Authority
- Pedal Power
- Piscataqua Savings Bank
- Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce
- Rockingham Planning Commission
- Salty Seatown
- Seacoast Media Group
- Seacoast Science Center
- Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
- SIG Sauer
- Strafford Regional Planning Commission
- TMS Architects
- Terracon Consultants
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Wells Fargo Advisors, LLC
If your employer is not yet a member, talk to your HR Manager (membership is free!) or contact us.
Bike Walk Alliance of New Hampshire – a voice for NH bicyclists and pedestrians
Commute by Bike – website with tips,news, reviews and safety for bike commuters
Granite State Wheelman – statewide bicycling club
SABR (Seacoast Area Bicycle Riders) – advocacy group enhancing bicycle routes in Seacoast NH and southern Maine and encouraging bike ridership at all levels
League of American Bicyclists – through information, advocacy and promotion, create a bicycle-friendly America for everyone. Fantastic resource.
Women Bike (League of American Bicyclists) – national advocacy initiative to engage, encourage, and elevate more women bicyclists.
Women Cycling Project – association of pedestrian and bicycling professionals working to encourage more women to bike more places more often.